Seasoned web application developer using Java, JEE, and Python
Pragmatic yet visionary architect, designer, and implementer with significant hands-on experience in web, integration, and data warehousing.
Curious, resourceful, and innovative.
Passionate about and current on systems technology.
Excellent communication skills, including writing, mentoring, and talking in terms that the audience can understand and build on. Active listener and adept at asking the right question.
BA Social Psychology Lehigh University
||2011 - current
||UniFirst Corporation, Wilmington MA
UniFirst is one of the largest companies supplying uniforms to the workforce, and is listed on the NYSE.
- As a contributor to the eCommerce team, worked on multiple releases of the administrative, B2B, and B2C portals.
- Performed full scope of development from front end to services to persistence layer.
- Analyzed and performed remediation for code base using FindBugs.
- Migration analysis for upgrade to Websphere 7; migrated developer environment from Websphere/Ration Application Developer to Tomcat/Eclipse
|Senior Software Engineer
||2007 - 2011
||PHT Corporation, Charlestown MA
PHT, an ISO9001 certified company, has been an innovator in electronic patient reported outcomes technologies supporting late stage clinical trials around the world for most of the major pharmaceutical companies around the world.
- As a key contributor to the server team, worked on five releases of the StudyWorks server, including major enhancements to the self-service administration functions.
- Performed a full range of development activities including system requirement specifications, system design specifications, implementation, and testing.
- Lead UI developer and enhanced the application to look and function identically in IE 6,7, and 8 and Firefox browsers.
- Served as a team leader for two releases (3 – 6 developers), and introduced several new technologies and libraries including jQuery, TestNG, and slf4j/logback. Developed a standard developer mini-smoke script and implemented the practice of consistent code reviews using a tool I wrote to make the process efficient and self-documenting. significantly improving the quality of builds provided to QA.
- Engineering department moved from traditional to Agile development using Scrum methodology.
- Designed and developed PHT's first AJAX application, one that significantly reduced administrative overhead in managing data clarification requests by customer.
- Refactored an administrative account approval function that had performance issues to use a threaded model to improve response times.
- Ported a long-running batch program to run on a much faster 64-bit Linux server so that data verification could be performed weekly on all studies instead once at the close of a study.
||2001 - 2006
||Tufts Health Plan, Watertown MA
||1999 - 2001
- Major contributor to architecture for web and integration/middleware services as well as larger enterprise architecture; leader of applications & development architecture subteam that defined current and future states and a path for achieving desired future state.
- Started as the initial member and, as senior contributor and architect, guided and mentored the growth of the Portal Development team that built and enhanced the Tufts Health Plan customer/partner facing and internal web application portals using Weblogic Server/J2EE. Portals support data queries from a variety of backends (Oracle, Tibco, legacy/JDBC, SOAP) as well as many online transactions and reports. Portals integrate with third party applications hosted internally (e.g. eDocs online payment, Stellent CMS) as well as externally (e.g. MapQuest, broker portal using ASP model), and using internally-developed authorization framework for most portals and CA-Netegrity for others.
- Portal Development team never missed a delivery in 5+ years (releases every 2-3 months), and IS department achieved CMMI Level 3 certification in 2005.
- Designed an authorization management framework, still in use after 5+ years, that supports a complex business model, including hierarchical and network relationships and delegated authorization.
- Principal and/or major contributor in all phases of web architecture, development, and support, including design, development, testing, deployment, as well as server tuning, upgrades, clustering, and management, using WebLogic Server.
- Evaluated software tools and frameworks (commercial and open source) and spearheaded adoption of CVS, ant, and many other Open Source Software tools that increased speed to market and application sophistication while improving reliability. Drafted OSS policy document. Key contributor (authoring, evaluation of responses, selection) major enterprise RFPs, including integration middleware, CMS, portal, and EIM.
- Worked on several third party integration efforts, including design and development of SOAP interfaces to MapQuest and internal Stellent (CMS) application, and extraction of McKesson data from database of XML with embedded HTML and transformation and packaging as secure PDFs for delivery via the portal.
- Designed and built sophisticated daemon to monitor and control clustered, multitiered web applications that has minimized site outages (Python-based, released on Sourceforge as Monmaster).
- Installed and managed department workstation (Linux) used for documentation wiki and staging server for public web site.
||Work Family Directions (acquired by Ceridian), Brookline MA
Project manager for web-enabled database to centralize referral information. Project management, application planning and architecture, business analysis, and advocacy.
||Harvard Pilgrim Health Care, Wellesley MA
|Supervisor, Corporate Systems
||Project Leader, Utilization Systems
- Corporate project manager for rollout of Lotus Notes; 0 to 500 seats over 12 months; managed most major corporate Notes projects including RFP workflow and knowledge management application, NCQA accreditation facilitation system, Competitive Intelligence
- Project manager for development of departmental datamart for Sales & Marketing Department using MS SQL Server; including database design and considerable hands-on development
- As member of Senior Project Manager Advisory group, helped define departmental project life cycle including document templates
- Managed a team that created a repository of plan-wide utilization and membership data with consistent format & coding for corporate users, primarily data analysts in Actuarial Systems and Medical Directors Office
- Analyzed multiple sources of utilization, membership, and reference data and designed, implemented, and maintained systems to clean, standardize, integrate, normalize, and aggregate large volumes of utilization and membership data from multiple platforms
- Developed a data element dictionary, logical data model, functional specifications, and associated documentation
- Used available system & staff resources to meet aggressive schedules for employer reporting & clinical studies, including HEDIS
Advanced information technology within a major ($2.5 billion annual budget in 1990) organization
Hired staff and managed Office Automation systems (VAX and PC LAN) and providing training and support for all systems
Key participant in project team that specified, designed, and implemented 57 million record on-line database of Medicaid claims
Developed network of computer- and data- literate end user analysts
Developed and implemented ad hoc and production management information reports
Developed integrated mainframe/PC LAN system to manage costs and rates for nursing home expenditures
Restored credibility to complex and poorly understood reporting system while acting as liaison between users of MMIS Surveillance/Utilization Review subsystem and programming and operations facility
Provided technical support for Office Automation implementation.
|Director of Information Management
|| 1986 - 1991
||Medicaid - Commonwealth of Massachusetts, Boston MA
|Senior Systems Analyst (consultant to Systems division)
Skill and experience inventory
Web server frameworks and technologies:
stateless session beans
Weblogic Application Server
Lotus Notes development
OO – Object Oriented design and analysis
Eclipse & Rational Application Developer
Linux (Debian user since 1995)